Scarborough Food Network (SFN) is a group of community organizations, businesses, non-profits, faith groups, educational institutions, city representatives, and residents working together to increase food security in Scarborough and advocating for increased local food security. Through SFN members collective work, as well as resource and information sharing, we are addressing the issue of food insecurity in Scarborough and seeking solutions to build a more sustainable and just future. SFN focuses on advancing a collective dialogue around building a resilient and sustainable food system, while celebrating the richness of community-based food initiatives.
With the breadth of expertise and knowledge at the table, Scarborough Food Network is well-positioned to recognize the various needs and assets of Scarborough neighbourhoods. Our network focuses on:
- Sharing knowledge and information in a coordinated manner.
- Building capacity and social capital through resource sharing.
- Influencing policy change through collective advocacy.
- Developing cross sectoral partnerships through new and existing initiatives, as well as networking events.
- Providing tools of empowerment that enable residents to have a voice and active role in the network as well as other tables.
All of Scarborough Food Network’s activities, programs, initiatives, and operations will strive to align with the following guiding principles:
- An inclusive approach, acknowledging the diversity and changing needs of Scarborough, its people and communities.
- Open and safe space for dialogue, engagement and action.
- Collective work, that recognizes the strengths of the network and the broader community.
- “By the community, for the community” where all work undertaken is well-informed by residents.