what is food security?
The ability to access a sufficient amount of safe, nutritious, and culturally diverse food to feed oneself and one’s loved ones.
Food security can be hard to obtain for many individuals living in Scarborough due to a number of factors.
Those who struggle to access a sufficient amount of safe, nutritious, and culturally diverse food are experiencing food insecurity.
- Food insecurity is often linked to a household’s financial situation.
- Food insecurity is faced most severely by households reliant on social assistance, low-wage income, and lone-parent families.
- Factors of accessibility and acceptability can also impact someone’s food insecurity.
- Confronting the issue of food insecurity is important because it can have negative impacts on the physical and mental well-being of individuals.
- The COVID-19 pandemic only exasperated issues of food insecurity in Scarborough.